Put Structures in Place

  • Slider Image

Your Step by Step Guide to Run a Street Party

Make sure the structures are in place for a successful Street Party.

Contact your local council to apply for a Temporary Event Notice (TEN). This must be done at least 10 working days before your event, though some council wish to receive 12 weeks notice! You may have to pay a fee of £21 though sometimes the fees are waivered e.g. The Big Lunch. You must send a copy of the TEN to the police at least 10 working days before the event – if you apply online, the council will contact the police on your behalf. Some councils are so supportive they will lend you road signs and cones.


You can apply for a road closure if the road is purely residential. Consult everyone who lives in a house or runs a business which will be affected by the road closure; it is your responsibility to make sure they are aware of the proposals and are happy with them

Set up a spreadsheet with columns for names including children, house number and what food they will bring. When people RSVP you can add it to your list. If people ask what food they should bring, you have an idea of what is missing.


To build community, you need to be intentional. Find someone who can act as the Master of Ceremonies for the day. They could be from your street or your community. The MC treats the crowd like family, makes everyone feel at ease and answers questions. They let people know what is ahead, helping people prepare to get involved. It is helpful for the MC to have a PA system with a microphone.